Red Carpet Service is a way to help front-line employees:
- Identify traveler needs
- Develop skills
- Discover tools to promote tourism
- Appreciate local hidden treasures
Who is it for?
The educational program is tailor-made for staff and management of local attractions, convenience stores, lodging, restaurants, retail shops and more.
How it works…
- Before the session - “mystery” shoppers go to key tourism locations and later share what they find with participants
- One session is scheduled - two hours long, customized for the location, interactive, fun and research-based
- Participants - anyone who interacts with travelers and tourists, a group of 25-30 suggested
- Instructors - University of Nebraska Extension faculty
- Local sponsor(s) - typically a Chamber, CVB or tourism group will underwrite the cost and promote the program
- Increased understanding of the contributions tourists make to the local economy.
- Renewed appreciation of the important role of front-line employees
- Improved customer service skills (giving directions, making referrals, sharing where tourism information can be found, etc.)
- Increased knowledge of local attractions and hidden treasures
- Upon request, availability of the “ready-to-use” program tools for continued use in the future.
Results show…Participants increase their knowledge, understanding and ability to provide customers with tourism information in all areas surveyed. On average, participants showed a 41.5 percent increase in their ability to share information about main attractions and hidden treasures and in their ability to identify additional tourism resources.
For more information contact…
- Cheryl Burkhart-Kriesel, Extension Specialist - Community Vitality, Scottsbluff
Cburkhartkriesel1@unl.edu Ph: 308-632-1234
- Ben Dutton, Extension Educator - Community Vitality, McCook
Ben.email@example.com Ph: 308-345-3390
- Jessica Jones, Extension Educator - Community Vitality, Tecumseh
firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: 402-335-3669
- Marilyn Schlake, Extension Educator - Community Vitality, Lincoln
Mschlake1@unl.edu Ph: 402-472-4138